Thursday, November 23, 2006

Tracey on a "short bike"

I amazed myself, and Marc (over in KL) by getting myself up and in to the Coffs community ride last Saturday morning. (Had something to prove to myself, as well as him after my carry on the previous weekend... Note: It helps to go to bed at a sensible time the night before!)

The Coffs BUG people didn't recognise me at first. "You're on a .. short bike" they exclaimed. I must look lost without a tandem.

I had been worried about keeping up on my MTB, but had no problems in the C group, and I was happy that I handled any of the hills with ease. Must have been getting a bit of bike fitness with all our rides.
The only bummer was that the group got really strung out.. There were a few of us in the middle that I think lost track of the rest who did a last detour out past the racecourse and round the headland and we cut back to the city centre maybe too soon.

I had been paranoid about getting a flat and not being able to fix it myself. I grabbed a 1.75 tube (which Marc said would get me by)... When I got the bike out of the car, I realised the pump didn't fit on my bike with the water bottle holder. Thought I was clever and moved the holder.. then realised the pump still didn't fit. So I just went and hoped. And was ok.

Got home, got bike out of car, wheeled it round the back and left it propped against a pole. About an hour later I did a double take as I passed it. Front tyre was flat as a tack. doh!

I've yet to fix it... though I did get a replacement tube. Might attempt a DIY tomorrow and if I am successful I might risk riding again on Saturday. However, I'm kind of looking forward to a bit of a sleep in. (The Sloth Within is prevailing this week.)

Pretty high on the priority list for when Marc gets home is a lesson in changing a bike tube. And other bike maintenance-y type things. I have spent far too long just relying on him to look after all that stuff. There are a few more tyre valve issues to sort out with my bike too.. I have one of each kind now, which makes carrying one spare tube only a bit dicey anyway. Add to list of Marc jobs.

*******

Meanwhile, he has an even bigger dilemma to sort out. He managed to, in theory, double book himself for the weekend of the 17th/18th March by making himself available for selection in an Aussie mens over 40s touch side to play in a tournament against New Zealand. In New Zealand. (He got selected.) The 17th is the start of the Big Ride... but it didn't click with him that the ride had set down for later than this year's, despite the fact that we'd talked about our rainfall concerns for that time of year still. Oops.

Meantime I've very much warmed to the idea of doing it. (Despite flashbacks to the early mornings.) Know heaps of people doing it now. Just got the triplet. Etc.

And now... to really put the cat amongst the pigeons. Seems I have won myself a Big Ride entry... got a call from Bicycle NSW earlier this week to say I'd won their 'Who Am I' competition. (I won something!!!!!!!)

Just to make the decision that much harder for him.

Fate?

I think he's wavering. Stay tuned.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home