Thursday, November 02, 2006

Now THAT's a rack.

I am babysitting the triplet. It's on the new super duper heavy duty rack Marc had made up, and is on the roof of the Commodore. He just dropped it off at home (on his way to Grafton for a work job - it was an opportunity to do a test drive, with work mate following to observe.) He is picking it up on the way back through, to add a few more things to it later this afternoon. Not sure quite what... though he will need to find something stronger/thicker to tie the wheels down with.

He didn't like the idea of me going out and leaving it sitting there in the front yard (supermarket trip thusly postponed) so I figured while I was babysitting it, I may as well take photos and post them up. (There are people out there who might be interested, you see.)





Possibly over-engineered.. but he's having none of that 'shearing' thing that can happen with light aluminium sections with flexing and fatigue. (See the Spring Cycle write up for details on the problems we had.) I joked last night that now the weak point now will be the roof bars.

He still has to make some decisions about the properties of rubber padding on the clamps. It needs to be gentle on the bike, but not soft enough that it will wear through.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now THAT's neat.

Remember to wave when people stare as you drive down the highway

7:10 am  
Blogger Kelvin said...

I'll bags the back seat, so I can rest, when we peddle up hills !!! (hehe)
Great blog - worth sharing, so I have mentioned your blog at #418 on my blog - 21 21 21 Great Blogs To Read.

Click on my name to see my blogs, but you may need your bike to get around.

5:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home