Friday, October 06, 2006

An early morning ride.

.. and on a weekday too!

Marc will confirm this - I am so not a morning person. I normally struggle to get up at 7am. But I suppose I make an exception for bike rides. [Yes indeed.. how many early mornings on the Big Ride?!] But basically, if it's suggested, I'm not really game to say no! Can't be a party pooper.

We made arrangements to meet a bike riding friend to do the ride down the highway again.
Despite being half an hour earlier than the other Sunday we did it, the highway was, of course, much busier, which freaked me out a bit. Still, we had a good ride... think I did better on the 3km ride up through the banana plantations this time. Marc said he could feel the 'after burners' kicking in a couple of times. Perhaps a few of my little rides helped. [*Note to self - continue solo ride training, there's a good girl]

45km, 1 hour, 45 mins, average speed 26.1 kph, max speed 69 kph. (yee ha!) With a tail wind back along the highway, Marc reckoned we were doing around 40 kph. Home by 8am; Zoe was only just getting up, and the other two were still asleep!

Riding the Santana is a real hoot!

[Oh yes, the magpie factor! We'd just passed the school, and I said to Marc, "Phew, no magpies today". Oops, spoke too soon. We got swooped a couple of times, but at least the tandem moves faster than my MTB. Needless to say, though, the return trip was playing on my mind. By unspoken agreement our rate increased as we approached the maggie zone. Increased? I was pedalling as hard as I could. Hah! .. too slow this time Maggie. ]

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home