Thursday, October 19, 2006

Last minute training?

I said I was going to record every "training-worthy" kilometre I did... so riding the 'just short of 5km' to pick up the car from the mechanics yesterday qualifies. Particularly as I'm the one who probably requires the most training. Even if 5km hardly seems worth getting the bike out for.

I feel quite odd, as you just don't see many other 40 + yr old local mothers getting around on their bikes as a means of getting from A to B. For that distance I throw on all the bike clobber, and bike shoes, simply because they are more comfortable to ride in. Think I've said before that I feel like a bit of a wally, but if it makes the riding easier, well, who cares.

The bike shoes are one of the best investments we made. I'd never experienced clipping in to the pedals before, and couldn't believe the difference they made. Had them a year now. I christened them on the Spring Cycle last year - a baptism by fire as there was a bit of stop/starting involved on that route. Caitlin is starting to agitate for a pair.. now that her feet are almost as big as mine, she thinks she will be safe from growing out of them. As she still wants to grow a couple of inches (to catch up with friends), I'm not sure she's grown out of her puppy feet yet... so it's hard to know when to make the investment for her.

Meanwhile, I'm getting interested in the idea of another bike - more road than mountain bike. Though perhaps the slogging along the road on the chunky tyres qualifies as the equivalent of weight training.

So.. anyway... Sydney bound on Saturday.. and hopefully meeting up with a bunch of other tandem nuts around 8 am Sunday morning.!! Lets hope it doesn't rain like they are predicting!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home